Department of Health   

                

Communicable Diseases

       

          

Radon

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that seeps into homes from under the ground.  It is a gas that you cannot see, smell or taste.  It can be a problem in any home as houses trap radon and can allow it to build up. Its presence in your home can pose a danger to your family's health. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in America and claims about 20,000 lives annually. 

Learn how you can protect your family.

The Otsego County Department of Health is offering a free radon test kit to Otsego County residents.  The only way to tell if radon is present in your home is through a test.  All homes should be tested for radon, even new construction. If radon is detected, a house can then easily be made safe.

For more information on free radon test kits call 547-7595

Links to Resources:

www.epa.gov/radon/

www.health.state.ny.us/environmental/radiological/radon/radon.htm

or call

1-800-SOS-RADON

 

 

 

 

Department   of   Health:
140 County Highway 33W
Suite #3

Cooperstown, NY 13326

Phone: 607.547.4230
Fax: 607.547.4385

After Hours : 607-547-1697

Office Hours:      9:00-5:00

Summer Hours:  9:00-4:00     

                          (July - August)

Radon Coordinator:

Kathy Chase, PHN