Health & Wellness
- Osteo-prevention Exercise Program
- Links to Chronic Disease Self Management Education
- Line-dancing at Elm Park (Oneonta)
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
- Provides a one-time ($) benefit during the heating season to persons 60 & older based on income eligibility.
Health Insurance & Pharmaceutical Counseling
- Health Insurance Information Counseling Program (HIICAP)
- Helps educate the public about Medicare and other health insurance issues.
- Provides counseling & advocacy relating to Medicare, private health insurance and related health coverage plans.
- Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC)
- EPIC is a New York State sponsored prescription program for senior citizens who need help paying for their prescriptions.
- New York State residents can apply if they are 65 or older, and have an annual income of $75,000 or less if single, or $100,000 or less if married.
- EPIC works with Medicare Part D as a secondary payer. Seniors should make sure their Medicare Part D plan covers their prescription drugs, since EPIC will not pay primary for most medications.
- You can apply at any time during the year. Call 1-800-332-3742 or go on-line http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/epic/ You may also contact Office for the Aging to request an application
Dining and Nutrition
- Provides reduced cost of basic telephone service and connection costs. You are eligible if you are now receiving:
- SNAP (Food Stamps)
- Public Assistance
- VA disability Pension
- VA spouse Pension
- Safety Net
- TANF (temporary assistance for needy families)
- Help accessing Medicaid, SNAP (food stamps), public assistance, etc
Legal & Tax Assistance
- Legal Assistance availible to persons 60 yrs. and older provided by the Legal Aid Society of Mid-New York
- Civil cases only, such as Consumer, Entitlement etc.
- Referrals to attorneys are made when appropriate.
- Tax Assistcance Program is sponsored by AARP. IRS trained volunteers prepare income tax returns for elderly & low income people. February - April 15
Call Office for the Aging for an appointment
- Cooperstown: 607-547-4232
- Oneonta: 607-432-9041
- Tax Exemption
- STAR savings up to 50% to qualified home owners (primary residence) - Applicants must file each year before March 1.
- Veterans exemption
- Other exemptions
- OFA Staff provides assistance with forms
- Otsego Express "Gus the Bus"
- Service throughout the County
- Seniors 1/2 fare
- For INFO 1-800-388-9853
- Oneonta Public Transit "OPT"
- Between Oneonta & Cooperstown & City of Oneonta
- INFO: 432-7100
- O.F.A. Medical Transport & Shopping
- For those unable to access public transportation on an availibility basis
- Expanded In-home Service for the Elderly Program (EISEP)
- Case Management, personal care and/or housekeeping service in your home
- Cost sharing depending on client's financial status and program designation
Information and Assistance accessing services and programs
- Services to assist caregivers to help maintain their loved ones in the community
- Information and Assistance
- Supplemental Services
- Sponsored by AARP
- A hour safe driving course for people 50 years or older
- Insurance companies offer a three (3) year insurance premium discount on completion of the course.
- An Ombudsman is a trained volunteer who visits long-term care facilities on a regular basis.
- To help residents understand and exercise their rights
- To help resolve a wide range of concerns or complaints made by or on behalf or residents.
- To assure care with dignity and respect.
- Volunteers needed
- Training is available