Visit ThisIsCooperstown.com for information on attractions, lodging, dining, events and recreation.
The Destination Marketing Corporation for Otsego County (DMCOC) was established in 2014 as a not-for-profit 501c6. The DMCOC, by contract with the County of Otsego, is the designated Tourism Promotion Agency (TPA) under the New York State Tourism Matching Funds Program.
The purpose of the organization is to actively promote and market Otsego County for the purpose of encouraging overnight visitation, thus contributing to the economic impact of tourism in our communities through the generation of occupancy tax revenues. This is accomplished by creating overnight stays – “heads in beds” – by marketing outside the area, at least three- to four-hour drives from Otsego County.
The DMCOC is funded by occupancy tax revenues (contract with Otsego County); cooperative marketing investments with tourism partners; and annual grants from the NYS Division of Tourism/Matching Funds Program.
Board of Directors:
The organization is governed by a ten-member Board of Directors which meets six times a year (more as needed for special projects) at the agency office, 20 Chestnut Street, Cooperstown.
Second Thursday, every other month.
Time: 2 to 4 pm.
- Jim Miles, Chair (Otesaga Resort Hotel)
- Bill Michaels, Vice Chair (Fly Creek Cider Mill & Orchard)
- Ken Meifert, Treasurer (National Baseball Hall of Fame & Museum)
- Camilla Morris, Secretary (Oneonta Bus/Eastern Travel)
- Kathy Clark (Otsego County Board of Representatives)
- Matt Hazzard (Cooperstown Chamber of Commerce)
- Barbara Ann Heegan (Otsego County Chamber of Commerce)
- Bob Holt (Best Western Plus)
- Hope Kabir (Hampton Inn Oneonta)
- Todd Kenyon (The Farmers’ Museum/Fenimore Art Museum)
- Office phone: 607-322-4046
- Mobile phone: 607-435-0544
- AdWorkshop, Lake Placid, NY
- Leisure; Group; Tour
- Other initiatives include hosting travel writers and familiarization tours (FAM); working with film crews, etc.
- All tourism businesses in Otsego County (attractions, lodging, dining, events, recreation) are listed free of charge on www.ThisIsCooperstown.com, under the guidelines of the I Love New York Matching Funds Program. All tourism-related businesses and events are also posted on www.Iloveny.com.
- All advertising is done within a three- to four-hour radius of Otsego County. Distribution of the lure piece is by download from the website and by mail, with some located at high-volume information centers (Thruway; gateway to NY centers).
- Events listings: NYS Matching Funds Guidelines require that events will attract visitors. I Love NY
- Lodging listings: Required to submit a form listing information (address/contact info/amenities), with high resolution images. Also required to sign off on required government regulations.
Cooperative Marketing Opportunities:
- The DMCOC offers a tiered cooperative marketing program to expand exposure over and beyond the free listings on the site. Please contact the office for information.
DMCOC Accomplishments, 2014 – 2016
- Incorporation (2014)
- Website User Survey (2014 – 15)
- Request for Proposals (RFP) for ad agency (2015) – AdWorkshop
- Branding Study (2015 – 16)
- Two to three marketing meetings each year (tourism businesses invited)
Central New York Region (Broome, Chenango, Madison, Montgomery, Oneida, Otsego, Schoharie counties)