Untitled Document
curve image

Rights of Clients

Each client in an Alcoholism/Substance Abuse outpatient facility has the following rights:

You have a right:

  • To an individually designed plan of service based on your individual needs in which you have participated in developing and which includes goals toward which you have agreed to work.
  • To considerate and respectful care.
  • To be free of personal involvement with any facility staff member.
  • To receive services from a staff that is competent, caring, and of sufficient number to provide services adequately.
  • To be treated in a way that recognizes and responds to your cultural identity or disability and/or sexual orientation and/or sex.
  • To know the primary counselor and client services manager, if one, responsible for your care and the name of any other person providing care for you.
  • To treatment by a staff member whose work performance is not impaired.
  • To obtain from your primary counselor current information concerning your diagnosis and treatment in terms that you can be reasonably expected to understand.
  • To know the facility rules and regulations that applies to your conduct as a client.
  • To receive services in a physical environment that is safe, sanitary, reflective of human dignity, conducive to effective treatment, and which appropriately safeguards the privacy and confidentiality of client staff interaction.
  • To receive no treatment requiring the order of a physician except upon the prior written order of a physician based on personal examination.
  • To examine and receive an explanation of your bill regardless of the source of payment.
  • To object to conditions at the facility and to a reasoned, prompt response from facility management. You also have the right to complain to the governing authority and the division and obtain from the facility staff information about how such complaints may be filed. You may do so by contacting the Program Manager. Specifics of your complaints may be requested in writing. Responses to same will also be placed in writing. You may begin to do so by discussing your concern with your primary counselor, requesting an administrative appointment (at no charge) with the Program Manager, contacting the Otsego County Director of Community Services or the New York State Division of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse, NE Regional Office, 1450 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12203-3526.