Untitled Document
curve image

Radon Gas Awareness and Testing

Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that seeps into homes from under the ground. It is a gas that you cannot see, smell or taste. It can be a problem in any home as houses trap radon and can allow it to build up. Its presence in your home can pose a danger to your family's health. Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in America and claims about 20,000 lives annually.

The Otsego County Department of Health is offering a free radon test kit to Otsego County residents. The only way to tell if radon is present in your home is through a test. All homes should be tested for radon, even new construction. If radon is detected, a house can then easily be made safe.

For more information on free radon test kits call 547-4230
For Radon Questions
Mathew Johnson RN, CHN
Radon Program Coordinator