Health Insurance Counseling
Health Insurance Information Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP):
Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC):
- HIICAP provides free, accurate and objective information, counseling, assistance and advocacy on Medicare, private health insurance, and related health coverage plans.
- HIICAP Counselors assist Medicare beneficiaries, their representatives and those who are new to Medicare navigate the Medicare system.
- There is no charge for this service. Contributions are suggested and appreciated. Suggested contribution is $10 per session. No one is denied service because of inability or unwillingness to pay.
Medicaid Screening and Application Assistance (including low income subsidies):
- EPIC is a New York State sponsored prescription program for older adults who need help paying for their prescriptions.
- New York State residents can apply if they are 65 or older and have an annual income of $75,000 or less if single, or $100,000 or less if married.
- EPIC works with Medicare Part D as a secondary payer. Seniors should make sure their Medicare Part D plan covers their prescription drugs, since EPIC will not pay primary for most medications.
- You can apply at any time during the year. Call 1-800-332-3742 or go on-line to http://www.health.ny.gov/health_care/epic/. You may also contact Office for the Aging to request an application.
- Caseworkers are able to meet with individuals of any age with a disability or older adults and determine eligibility based on income, assets and resources.
- Caseworkers can assist with application assistance for any individual who is unable to navigate the systems.